Test Your HOV Knowledge!
Think you know a lot about carpool lanes? Take this short quiz to check your HOV IQ.
1. True or False: All District 7 HOV lanes operate as HOV lanes 24 hours a day.
2. There is one HOV lane in Los Angeles County that requires carpools of three or more during peak periods. Which freeway is it?
3. About how much is the fine for a first-offense HOV violation?
4. Currently, solo drivers in low-emission vehicles (e.g., hybrid and electric cars) with a DMV-issued Clean Air Vehicle Sticker can use HOV lanes. When will this end?
5. The federal target for HOV violators (solo drivers caught driving in HOV lanes) is 10 percent. What’s the rate in Los Angeles County?
6. True of false: Motorcycles carrying only one person can use HOV lanes.
7. About how many miles of HOV lanes are there nationwide?
1. False. The HOV lanes on the Antelope Valley Freeway (SR-14) are mixed-flow during off-peak periods. All other HOV lanes are operated on a 24-hour basis.
2. The El Monte Busway / San Bernardino Freeway (I-10)
3. The minimum fine is $381.
4. January 1, 2011, unless the program is extended.
7. About 1,000 route miles (2,000 lane miles).