California Department of Transportation
 

Local and Regional Planning Partners

The Caltrans District 5 Transportation Planning division coordinates its planning efforts with local governments (cites and counties), Metropolitan Planning Organizations (MPOs), and Regional Transportation Planning Agencies (RTPAs). The counties, MPOs, and RTPAs for our district are listed below.

A Metropolitan Planning Organization is defined in Federal Transportation Legislation (23 USC 134(b) and 49 USC 5303(c)) as the designated local decision making body that is responsible for carrying out the metropolitan transportation planning process, and through which federal funding for transportation projects and programs are channeled. An MPO must be designated for each urban area with a population of more than 50,000 people, and is comprised of representatives from local government and transportation authorities.

Regional Transportation Planning Agencies within the State of California produce Regional Transportation Plans and are designated by the Business, Transportation and Housing secretary to receive and allocate transportation funds. Councils of Government, Transportation Commissions, and Metropolitan Planning Organizations can all be designated RTPAs, which allocate 75% of the State Transportation Improvement Program (STIP) through the Regional Transportation Improvement Program (RTIP). Caltrans allocates the remaining 25% of the STIP through the Interregional Transportation Improvement Program (ITIP).

Map of District 5


County
MPO
RTPA

 


 
Last updated: April 1, 2014