Caltrans News Release
Sept. 23, 2016
Contact: Carmen Sandoval, (619) 688-6670
Interstate 8 Update Project Traffic Delays And Detours
EL CENTRO, Calif.—Caltrans crews continue work on the Interstate 8 (I-8) Update Project in Imperial County, from State Route 111 (SR-111) to the California/Arizona border. Lane closures and traffic detours for three separate segments along I-8 may cause significant delays as motorists travel between California and Arizona. Signs will be posted alerting motorists of the work and associated detours. Motorists traveling in Imperial County east of El Centro are urged to plan ahead.
Segment One is located between Orchard Road and East Highline Canal and is approximately 9.5 miles in length. The following detours begin the week of September 26 and will continue through 2017:
- Westbound traffic will be shifted to share the newly constructed I-8 eastbound lanes. Traffic will be reduced to one lane in each direction.
- Orchard Road will remain accessible to traffic in both directions.
- Eastbound on- and off-ramps at Bonds Corner Road and Vanderlinden Road will be re-opened.
- Westbound on- and off-ramps at Bonds Corner Road are closed with detour and signage in place using Orchard Road off-ramp to access I-8 East to exit Bonds Corner Road.
- Westbound on- and off-ramps at Vanderlinden Road are closed with detour and signage in place using the Orchard Road off-ramp to access I-8 East to exit Vanderlinden Road.
Segment Two runs 9.5 miles from just west of State Route 98 (SR-98) to Gordons Well Road. The following detours are in place and will continue through 2017:
- Westbound traffic has been detoured to Evan Hewes Road west of Gordons Well Road to west SR-98.
- Eastbound traffic has been diverted to the westbound lanes for the entire length of the segment.
- The westbound I-8 off-ramp to Brock Research Center Road is closed. Westbound traffic will be detoured to SR-98 to eastbound I-8 to Brock Research Center Road.
- Eastbound on- and off-ramps at Gordons Well Road are closed with detour and signage in place:
- Motorists on eastbound I-8 will be directed to Grays Well Road to access I-8 westbound and exit at Gordons Well Road (approximately 5 miles each way).
- Traffic for eastbound I-8 from Gordons Well Road to use I-8 westbound and exit SR- 98 to enter I-8 eastbound lanes.
Segment Three is located west of SR-186 to the state line with Arizona and is approximately 6.8 miles in length. Detours are in place and are on-going through 2017.
- Traffic is reduced to one lane in each direction between the Agricultural Checkpoint to the state line with Arizona.
- Eastbound on- and off-ramps at SR-186/Algodones Road are closed with detour and signage in place to use Winterhaven Drive and Sidewinder Road.
- Westbound on- and off-ramps at Fourth Avenue are closed with detour and signage in place to use Winterhaven Drive.
- Oversized vehicles and farm vehicles with a width greater than 12 feet are prohibited from traveling westbound I-8 between Stateline Road and Winterhaven Drive/Fourth Avenue. Detour signs are in place to use Giss Parkway.
The I-8 Update is a major pavement rehabilitation project which will construct Continuously Reinforced Concrete Pavement (CRCP) over 48 miles on Interstate 8 in Imperial County. The work will result in a long-lasting superior roadway, capable of withstanding the heaviest traffic loads. Construction began earlier this year on three segments. The remaining two segments will begin construction in 2017. Work is expected to be complete by 2019.
Caltrans reminds motorists to slow down when driving through highway work zones.
Visit www.dot.ca.gov/dist11/ and CaltransDistrict11 on Facebook and follow @SDCaltrans on Twitter for current transportation information, construction, closures, and major traffic incidents on state highways in San Diego and Imperial counties.
# # #