Public Records Officer
Caltrans Public Records Request
General Guidelines for Access to Public Records
Public records maintained by the California Department of Transportation are available for inspection by members of the public pursuant to the following procedures:
- Public records maintained by the department are available for inspection during the regular business hours of the department. The Department is entitled to a reasonable period of time to locate the records if not readily accessible and to determine whether they must first be reviewed, and possibly redacted, in order to protect confidential or other exempt material from improper disclosure.
- Marcy Freer is the Public Records Officer for the handling of Public Records Act requests. For further information you may contact her at (916) 654-3644 or email@example.com.
- Requests for inspection or copying of public records:
- a. Should be specific, focused and not interfere with the ordinary business operations of the department. The operational functions of the department will not be suspended to permit inspection of records during periods in which the records are required by Department personnel for the performance of their duties. If the request requires review of numerous records, a mutually agreeable time should be established for the inspection of the records.
- b. Should sufficiently describe records so that identification, location and retrieval of the records can be achieved without undue burden. Reasonable assistance shall be given to the requestor to help him or her satisfy this requirement.
- c. Should be reduced to writing unless the request involves records that are readily available for immediate public inspection. (The requestor may be asked, but cannot be required, to submit the request in writing. If the requestor refuses, the person handling the request should record the information for record keeping purposes.)