"$25K Find a New Way" Innovation Contest
Innovation Contest Update
- More than 600 entries were received by the October 13, 2015 deadline.
- Finalists (in alphabetical order):
- Advance Directional Signs: Alter or add directional signs to give motorists more time to change lanes before merging.
- Caltrans Freeway League: A digital space for Californians to develop successful commuting strategies, focused on safety and efficiency.
- Diverging Diamonds: An intersection configuration designed to provide easier merging while making wrong-way ramp access more difficult.
- Gawker Blocker: A portable screen to obscure distracting activity from drivers’ views.
- More Visibility for Caltrans Workers: Employ highly reflective, collapsible devices to increase the visibility of roadway workers.
- Movable Dividers: Move center dividers to give commute direction more capacity in morning and evening hours.
- Off-Peak Toll Discounts: Reduce fees for commercial vehicles that operate during off-peak hours.
- Staggered Workday Hours: Employ several workday shifts to reduce commute congestion.
- The winner will be announced before December 31, 2015.